Friday, October 7, 2011

Connection and Reflection (3)

         My philosophical connection for today comes from my favorite comic books, Calvin and Hobbes. Throughout the series, the author puts in thoughtful insights, but I'm going to have to make my main focus the overview because the book is all the way across the room and I am not getting out of bed. When his parents are around, Hobbes is just a regular stuffed tiger, but when he's with Calvin, he becomes an actual tiger who can walk, talk, and eat tuna fish sandwiches. The logical and realistic way to look at this would be to say that Calvin has a lot of imagination. Someone could argue that Calvin just carries Hobbes around all day, and makes up a personality for him. Another option is that Calvin's parents have outgrown their childhood, and can't see Hobbes because they refuse to. Since their adult minds are so boring, they can't see Hobbes because they are so used to the normalicy (I'm so making that a word) of their lives.The other option is a combination of both. This one is a little tricky, but last year during APUSH there was always some weird philosophical stuff on the board, and one time it asked if there could be more than 1 Truth. I don't know the exact meaning of Truth, but I can guesstimate. Maybe the two options both exist, they may be paradoxes, but there could be more than one Truth in this situation (I really don't know if I'm using it in the right way at all. My refusal to look it up probably isn't helping this blog's accuracy). Since its in a comic book, I agree with the third choice, I don't believe it can all be apart of his imagination, and, even though I favor this explanation more than simply imagination, I don't think you necessarily have to become dull when you become an adult. More so, I think Calvin and Hobbes doesn't focus on the existence of Hobbes. I think whatever the reader chooses to think while reading, is the right answer to them.   

        At the time I had hypothesized this theory, I hadn't actually read the chapters I was supposed to, but now I have and I want to explain what I think about Sophie and Hilde. Sophie's World has become extremely janky and not gonna lie, I'm a little confused. Anyways, my best guess at the moment is that Sophie is Hilde when she is being philosophical and enlightened. I want to say sort of  Jesus thing, that Sophie represents Jesus before he knew he was the Christian's savior, while Hilde is the awakened and fully aware that he is supposed to do...Jesus stuff? FYI: I am completely and utterly clueless about Christianity and Jesus in general, so please excuse me if I give the wrong information but I'll try not to go too in depth with the facts. Also, Sophie sees Hilde sort of looking back at her when she look at her reflection on her I.D card and in the mirror. That just seems so obvious, she can only see Hilde when she's looking at herself. Too obvious maybe? I feel like this is one of those books that is going to have an unpredictable and random ending that you couldn't have guessed in a million years, so I don't think I'm right, but its my best guess so far. The way Sophie is finding some objects Hilde is losing, could be that Sophie is becoming more and more Hilde, that is to say that she is climbing higher and higher on that little rabbit hair. So then who is Hilde's father? Well, according to my Jesus guess, Hilde's father must be God, but Alberto said he wasn't. Why is Alberto so mad and continuously ripping up the postcards anyways? My best guess right now would be that Alberto had a Hilde of his own, and something bad happened, but he needs to teach Sophie philosophy, but at the same time he doesn't want her becoming Hilde like he did. Maybe it led to some bad stuff, I don't know I feel like this argument has nothing even close to validity at the moment. Anyways, that's my recent reflection and connection for 6:23 in the morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment